Thursday, January 14, 2010

Talked With 2 Men and 2 Women

As mentioned in the title, I am making progress. During these conversations, I noticed a trend. When I talked with men, I listened to what they said and was able to keep the conversation flowing for however long I wanted. The downside was that I didn't maintain much eye contact. But when I talked with women, I was quite nervous, didn't listen to them much, and often ran out of things to say. The upside was that I maintained quite a lot of eye contact.

I also made another discovery when talking with strangers. The best approach is when you have a reason to talk with them in the first place. Walking up to them and talking suddenly is more challenging and probably should be reserved for my higher-level future self. For now, the best approach is to stand/sit near some place where people don't know what they're doing. For example, in a library, I might sit next to the copier. If a woman doesn't know how to use it, I'll kindly ask if she needs some help. Another example is in the gym room. If a woman is clueless about a certain machine, I'll show her how to use it. I won't care if I'm currently doing the 9th repetition of the 3rd set of one-arm rows. Exercise can wait, women can't.

It's also possible to use the elevator trick. This works best when two women are discussing about some intriguing topic. It should be easier to express your views with them in this confined environment because the fact that the three of you are in the same elevator "proves" that you're somewhat related. A couple of days ago, two women were talking about how they hated eating sushi. I could've said that if they really had to eat sushi, then they should focus on salmon because the texture is more like meat. Anything else (like raw scallop) will just send you to the toilet. This does not, by all means, imply that you should keep riding the elevator or subway hours on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment